Minor speed tweak tip

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Tue Feb 11 00:29:29 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 23:20, Shern, Benjamin J wrote:
> For those of you with a decent size chunk of RAM:
> I've benchmarked 5-10% improvement in compile times by caching /usr/bin into
> memory.  The best way I've found to do this is:

just some brief thoughts...

In a way you've found that linux is bad a cacheing binaries. Allocating
memory away from the system cache actually sounds like a bad idea right?
In all people with small amounts of memory are helped with LOW MEMORY
usage by system stuff and not too-big caches, because they take away
space that the kernel could otherwise allocate for something more
usefull.

All in all it's not really usefull for most people, and yes, the kernel
fs cacheing should have been a bit smarter.

another side not is that your whole ramfs will be swapped out if the
kernel requires it, killing your performance of course when you peak
memory usage once every so often.

sofar

Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>