nother submission/request for enhancement

WizFactor wizfactor at wizfactor.net
Mon Feb 3 18:24:38 GMT 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 16:16:43PM -0700, Shern, Benjamin J wrote:
> Hi,
> My vi (actually vim) takes 5-15 seconds to come up on a 2.4 Ghz machine.
> Found out the reason is that vim imports a whole lot of GUI X crap for gvim.
> The solution seems to be to add "--with-features=tiny --disable-gui" to the
> vim configure options.  Maybe lunar distro should break vim and gvim into
> separate modules?  Or maybe there is something else I missed (very likely).
> Ben

Not sure what you may be doing different than me, but vim takes maybe
half a second to come up on my Athlon 1.4 Ghz, and gvim takes no more
than a second and a half. The way the vim module is now, it only builds
with gui if you (re)build it after you have X installed. It could be
possible to break it into 2 modules, but I don't much see the point.