devfsd problem

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Sun Feb 2 23:00:42 GMT 2003

George,

The Gemini floppies started out as a 2 disk rescue/mini Lunar based distro.

With the next version of Gemini, it will have devfs and devfsd installed already.
That part works right now on my set of Gemini disks.  I've also installed
rsync and I'm writing a network install program using Gemini, rsync and the
Lunar iso (next iso will also have rsync installed).  The next Gemini also has
limited ethernet support.

But for your current problem, I think you need to check the symlinks in
/etc/rcS.d/ and make sure you have a S10mount which points to /etc/init.d/mount.

/etc/init.d/rcS runs all the scripts in /etc/rcS.d.  Mount should be run as
part of running /etc/init.d/rcS, which would then start devfsd for you too.

The changes to /etc/inittab are normally not necessary as devfsd would create
the symlinks from oldnames (tty1, tty2, etc. to vc/1, vc/2, etc.).

If you've copied the filesystems from an existing, working, Lunar box to these
new boxes (low ram, no cdrom), then I don't really understand why you can't
get your new boxes to boot correctly.  Some more details on the problems
you are having and what you are really trying to do would help us debug your
problem.

Terry Chan