xfs

johnlowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 14 02:01:32 GMT 2003

Nick Hudson wrote:

>Yeah with X 4.3.0 you dont need xfs to run at boot.  I prolly need to
>take it out all together, but you can still use it if you wish but its
>not needed due to fontconfig being with X now.
>
>Nick
>
>On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 00:32, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>>>Thanks, Chuck! Well it looks as though I've messed up. : That certainly
>>>should be started at boot. How would I go about changing that choice now
>>>so as to get the x font server to start at boot?
>>>

>>You can get xfs to start at boot time by running
>>
>> # chkconfig --add xfs
>>
>>However, you don't necessarily need the font server to run X, it will
>>run fine without.
>>
>>	Jasper

Nick, Jasper and Chuck,

Interesting thing here. I ran chkconfig xfs on (Chuck's suggested
command) and now the line "Starting xfs:  [PID]     [FAILED]   appears
two lines before login. I tried chkconfig --add xfs (Jasper's suggested
command) and nothing changed. Looks like we're going in the wrong
direction. Maybe I should try chkconfig xfs off or chkconfig --subtract
xfs. Just kidding about this latter, of course. :-)

Thoughts or suggestions?

John Lowell