"Device eth0: failed to set address"

Eddie Maddox eddie at mngovsci.com
Sun Apr 20 13:15:14 GMT 2003

> Try running "lnet" from a root command shell prompt.

> If your ethernet nic is compiled into your kernel and not as a module then
True.

> you probably just need to use "lnet" and you should be done.
Didn't help. Same message on reboot and still no eth0 entry in ifconfig
either before or after the reboot.

> If you chose to compile your ethernet nic as a module then "lnet" again
> will help you load the kernel module for your NIC.
lsmod: just the header.

I'm not a Linux guru but have had some experience the last ten years with
Linux, so feel free to suggest whatever else I should do to help track
this down.

Thanks.

PS: I suppose I could try recompiling the kernel without the builtin and
just use the module as is often done with precompiled  distros I've run.