Automount and Autofs.......

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Thu Apr 17 17:14:06 GMT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 04:55 pm, Steven Michalske wrote:

Cool!!
If you or someone else can write the build scripts I am willing to be a beta
tester.

As of now I suck and can't write the scripts because.... I suck.

I know all of you are busy, but it would be awesome if in the next few weeks
or so we could have this module in the moonbase it would be most appreciated
by some of us with laptops and workstations.

> your previous email looks like the solution that is proper
>
> hardkrash
>

> On Thursday 17 April 2003 1:53 pm, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> RC> On Thursday 17 April 2003 03:52 pm, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> RC>
> RC> So what do you all think? Is this the way to go?
> RC> How do you accomplish this (Automounting) task?
> RC>
> RC> > On Thursday 17 April 2003 03:25 pm, Steven Michalske wrote:
> RC> >
> RC> > Mtools 3.9.9 is installed. I think I need to have the autofs package
> RC> > installed.
> RC> >
> RC> > Why Autofs ?
> RC> >
> RC> >  Autofs automatically mounts file systems for you when they are
>  requested. RC> > This has a very handy features: It's great for handling
>  removable media. RC> > Just CD to the right directory, or execute ls or do
>  anything that sends a RC> > request to the mount point: and the daemon
>  mounts it. After all, it's the RC> > kind of job that's beneath the
> dignity of a human being First, you need to RC> > install the "autofs"
> package. It should include some appropriate config RC> > files. The files
> you need are /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.mnt Examples RC> > shown below:
> RC> >
> RC> > /etc/auto.master
> RC> >
> RC> > # Format of this file:
> RC> > # mountpoint map options
> RC> > # For details of the format look at autofs(8).
> RC> >
> RC> > #/misc       /etc/auto.misc     --timeout 60
> RC> > /mnt   /etc/auto.mnt --timeout 5
> RC> > # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
> RC> > # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
> RC> > # Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage
> RC> >
> RC> >
> RC> > /etc/auto.mnt
> RC> >
> RC> > # nosuid means suid bits on mounted media will not be set.
> RC> >
> RC> > cdrom      -fstype=iso9660,user,nosuid        :/dev/cdrom
> RC> > floppy     -fstype=ext2,defaults,user,nosuid,sync  :/dev/fd0
> RC> > zip        -fstype=ext2,defaults,user,nosuid  :/dev/sda4
> RC> >
> RC> > It can be downloaded from here:
> RC> >
> RC> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/

>  drive RC> > > or something like that

> usb RC> > > camera. RC> However I have to mount and unmount my usb floppy
> drive every RC> > > time I want to RC> access it, it's the same with my
> cdrom? RC> > > RC>

> cdrom and RC> > > usb RC> >  devices are RC> automatically mount when a
> disk is inserted or RC> > > usb device RC> > is plugged in? RC>
>  auto-autofs RC> > > but it is RC> >  not in RC> the moonbase.

> in RC> > > Lunar? RC> >

Ralph Crongeyer
Linux Systems Certified Professional (LSCP)
Network Administrator