Automount and Autofs.......

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Thu Apr 17 15:52:35 GMT 2003

On Thursday 17 April 2003 03:25 pm, Steven Michalske wrote:

Mtools 3.9.9 is installed. I think I need to have the autofs package
installed.

Why Autofs ?

 Autofs automatically mounts file systems for you when they are requested.
This has a very handy features: It's great for handling removable media. Just
CD to the right directory, or execute ls or do anything that sends a request
to the mount point: and the daemon mounts it. After all, it's the kind of job
that's beneath the dignity of a human being First, you need to install the
"autofs" package. It should include some appropriate config files. The files
you need are /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.mnt Examples shown below:

/etc/auto.master

# Format of this file:
# mountpoint map options
# For details of the format look at autofs(8).

#/misc       /etc/auto.misc     --timeout 60
/mnt   /etc/auto.mnt --timeout 5
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

/etc/auto.mnt

# nosuid means suid bits on mounted media will not be set.

cdrom      -fstype=iso9660,user,nosuid        :/dev/cdrom
floppy     -fstype=ext2,defaults,user,nosuid,sync  :/dev/fd0
zip        -fstype=ext2,defaults,user,nosuid  :/dev/sda4

It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/autofs/

> i believe kde uses the mtools package for automounting the floppy drive or
> something like that
>

> On Thursday 17 April 2003 12:12 pm, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> RC> On Thursday 17 April 2003 01:34 pm, Steven Michalske wrote:
> RC>
> RC> I have the hotplug module installed and it works great for my usb
> camera. RC> However I have to mount and unmount my usb floppy drive every
> time I want to RC> access it, it's the same with my cdrom?
> RC>
> RC> Should hotplug be mounting my usb floppy and cdrom too?
> RC>
> RC> > look at the hotplug module

> usb RC> >  devices are RC> automatically mount when a disk is inserted or
> usb device RC> > is plugged in? RC>
>  it is RC> >  not in RC> the moonbase.

Ralph Crongeyer
Linux Systems Certified Professional (LSCP)
Network Administrator