Daylight savings time.....

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Mon Apr 7 14:41:02 GMT 2003

After I installed ntpd I couldn't get the time to update (this was yesterday
during D.S.T.). I found that I had to stop ntpd and then run ntpdate [server
name or ip] and the date was updated. ntpd was setup to run at boot. When I
rebooted the time was set back to 1hr behind again (It didn't set the
hardware clock). So I tried rdate and the command below which worked. So I
put the command in the bootmisc file. Is this wrong to do, in your opinion??

Ralph

On Monday 07 April 2003 01:42 pm, Steven Michalske wrote:
> ntpd once close will poll and determine your machines drift
> in the config file add a server b4 the other info ie
> server clock.psu.edu
>
> and then since you manually set it it will now keep the time proper
> if the delta is too much it will not sync, but i believe daylight savings
> time is a flag from the servers
>
> hardkrash
>

> On Monday 07 April 2003 5:47 am, Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> RC> For anyone intrested in this:
> RC> lin rdate
> RC> then in /etc/init.d/bootmisc
> RC> enter:
> RC> rdate -s 192.5.41.40 && hwclock --systohc
> RC>
> RC> works every boot which is good for my needs on a laptop.
> RC>
> RC> Thanks for all you guys help.
> RC>
> RC> BTW the ip is from the Time Service Dept., U.S. Naval Observatory,
>  Washington, RC> DC, tick.usno.navy.mil.
> RC>
> RC> Ralph

Ralph Crongeyer
Linux Systems Certified Professional (LSCP)
Network Administrator