Fresh lunar install

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Sat May 18 14:14:22 CEST 2013

> This warning was added by me. If you have nvidia binary driver it installs
> vdpau driver which uses dedicated hardware to do decoding with low cpu/gpu
> use. If you select y for mesa-lib vdapu mesa-lib will build generic shader
> acceleared vdpau (not gpu vendor dependent, just GPU needs to have
> shaders) which will make your GPU hot. So it is better to not build it at
> all if you have nvidia driver to preserve better vdpau from nvidia driver.
> Indeed message looks confusing. It should be removed and block mesa's
> vdpau build if nvidia driver is installed or question should be rewritten
> to not confuse. e.g. "enable mesa vdpau shader based acceleration for any
> GPU haning shaders? say no if nvidia binary driver is installed because it
> already installed better vdpau" y/n

Hey zbiggy,

nice to read you, pal! Can you link to specific bug reports about the
above issue? I've build with vdpau enabled, and my gpu's (two geforce
9800 gt in SLI mode) are between 47 and 60°C - usually 54°C which seems
to be okay. Maybe that issue is fixed already?

Do we need the vdpau module at all in linux, if nvidia ships with it's
own?

thanks,
jean