ISO Installer

Peter de Ridder peter at lunar-linux.org
Tue Mar 19 16:28:15 CET 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Peter de Ridder <peter at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
>> On 03/09/2013 02:29 AM, Peter de Ridder wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here is an update on the ISO installer.
>>> The ISO creation code is mostly finished for some time now. But the
>>> installer is not.
>>> I've been working on a new modular installer which could help with
>>> maintenance. But I don't have enough spare time to work in this.
>>> Because of this I've decided to see if we can make de old installer work.
>>>
>>> Issues I found with the old installer, up until now:
>>> - Keyboard layout selection: I don't know which module should include
>>> the keyboard layout files the installer is looking for, as they are
>>> not on the ISO nor on my main?
>>

>> should this just not be evident from the old package list used when this
>> code still worked?
>
> It seems to be part of the kbd module, but the directory in /usr/share
> has moved.
>

>>> - Console font: This needs some terminus-font like module, which is
>>> not on the ISO. We could just drop this selection otherwise have some
>>> font module on the ISO?
>>

>> just add the fonts - the console fonts are tiny anyway
>
> Ok, here is the pull request:
> https://github.com/lunar-linux/moonbase-core/pull/255

terminus-font required fontconfig and by that freetype2.
This is to generate X11 fonts.
Option:
- use a different console font. If so, which?
- include fontconfig and freetype2 in core
- split terminus-font in they modules
- make fontconfig optional_depends and change the BUILD to support that.
Which is preferred?

>>> Issues I found with generating the ISO:
>>> - gcc: If the host has gcc with ppl installed, the BUILD gets ppl
>>> pulled in during boostrap and the new gcc will implicitly depend on
>>> ppl. https://github.com/lunar-linux/moonbase-core/pull/253
>>

>> I would consider just adding ppl as fixed dependency to gcc.
>
> Also discussed this with Ratler, he agrees on this. And suggested to
> make cloop-ppl a hard depend.
> I don't fully agree, but here is the change for review:
> https://github.com/cavalier38/moonbase-core/commits/gcc-ppl
> If you still agree this is the way to go, I'll create the pull request.
>

>>> - glibc: during make install the manuals fail to build, lots of
>>> warnings about subsections. This leaves a broken system. I can't
>>> reproduce this on the host, only in the ISO. Would there be an option
>>> to disable the manuals or any ideas on what is causing this?
>>>
>>> Help is welkom, for testing and fixing the ISO building. And for
>>> finding and fixing the old installer.
>>> Just finding the issue and reporting them is helpfully.
>>>
>>> How to get the ISO.
>>> git clone git://github.com/lunar-linux/lunar-iso.git
>>> git checkout rewrite
>>> less README
>>> edit conf/config.in to conf/config
>>> make
>>

>> how about merging this into master? the current master is unusable at this
>> point, and keeping this in a branch serves no longer any purpose.
>
> Sure, I'll do that later.
>

>> Auke

Regards,
Peter