ISO Installer

Peter de Ridder peter at lunar-linux.org
Sat Mar 9 11:29:29 CET 2013

Hi,

Here is an update on the ISO installer.
The ISO creation code is mostly finished for some time now. But the
installer is not.
I've been working on a new modular installer which could help with
maintenance. But I don't have enough spare time to work in this.
Because of this I've decided to see if we can make de old installer work.

Issues I found with the old installer, up until now:
- Keyboard layout selection: I don't know which module should include
the keyboard layout files the installer is looking for, as they are
not on the ISO nor on my main?
- Console font: This needs some terminus-font like module, which is
not on the ISO. We could just drop this selection otherwise have some
font module on the ISO?

Issues I found with generating the ISO:
- gcc: If the host has gcc with ppl installed, the BUILD gets ppl
pulled in during boostrap and the new gcc will implicitly depend on
ppl. https://github.com/lunar-linux/moonbase-core/pull/253
- glibc: during make install the manuals fail to build, lots of
warnings about subsections. This leaves a broken system. I can't
reproduce this on the host, only in the ISO. Would there be an option
to disable the manuals or any ideas on what is causing this?

Help is welkom, for testing and fixing the ISO building. And for
finding and fixing the old installer.
Just finding the issue and reporting them is helpfully.

How to get the ISO.
git clone git://github.com/lunar-linux/lunar-iso.git
git checkout rewrite
less README
edit conf/config.in to conf/config
make