Lunar-Linux ISO 1.7.0-dev2

Peter de Ridder peter at lunar-linux.org
Sun Jun 16 10:49:13 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> On 06/15/2013 02:54 AM, Peter de Ridder wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Marco van der Grient
>> <mwgrient69 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>    # USB boot not working properly.
>>> I was wondering if there is a workaround for this problem? Because I use
>>> pendrive for installation, or a usb dvd drive... both are giving me a
>>> error
>>> from Dracut: no root file system found.
>>> Cheers, Marco
>>>

>>>  I have  not yet found a solution for this.
>> It might be related to the usb driver required: ohci or uhci.
>> On a system with uchi it doesn't detect the USB drive at all (not listed
>> in
>> /dev).
>> With ochi it booted but I was left at a blank screen when systemd would be
>> finished booting (not sure if that is USB related, but others reported
>> this
>> too).
>>
>> As to getting USB booting: If you are adventurous you could try it you can
>> get the system to detect the USB device from within the dracut prompt. If
>> you get the device detected you can exit the shell and booting continues.
>> (Not sure this is possible with the tools in the dracut shell)
>>
>> As a workaround: Use another bootable linux with a recent kernel. Boot
>> that
>> system, plugin the USB or by other means mount the ISO. Mount -o bind
>> things like dev sys proc and mount tmpfs to tmp var/tmp and run. Then use
>> chroot to enter the ISO.
>>

> two thoughts:
>
> 1. rootwait?
>
> Using rootdelay=10 not rootwait.
But within the dracut shell I still can't find the root device.
Not sure if waiting longer would help.

> 2. try using GPT instead and use root=PARTUUID=<uuid>, this will make
> booting from a USB stick a lot easier, as the kernel will look for the
> actual device node for you, and it's more reliable than labels.
>
> AFAIK an ISO doen't use partitions. So is it posible to put a GPT on a cd
or dvd?

Still this doesn't help with detecting the USB device. I'm convinced that
if the USB device it detected the label would be found too.

I'll test with the dev1 ISO too, as Marco suggested they behave differently.

Regards,
Peter