Lunar-Linux ISO 1.7.0-dev2

Peter de Ridder peter at lunar-linux.org
Sat Jun 15 11:54:55 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Marco van der Grient
<mwgrient69 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  # USB boot not working properly.
> I was wondering if there is a workaround for this problem? Because I use a
> pendrive for installation, or a usb dvd drive... both are giving me a error
> from Dracut: no root file system found.
> Cheers, Marco

I have  not yet found a solution for this.
It might be related to the usb driver required: ohci or uhci.
On a system with uchi it doesn't detect the USB drive at all (not listed in
/dev).
With ochi it booted but I was left at a blank screen when systemd would be
finished booting (not sure if that is USB related, but others reported this
too).

As to getting USB booting: If you are adventurous you could try it you can
get the system to detect the USB device from within the dracut prompt. If
you get the device detected you can exit the shell and booting continues.
(Not sure this is possible with the tools in the dracut shell)

As a workaround: Use another bootable linux with a recent kernel. Boot that
system, plugin the USB or by other means mount the ISO. Mount -o bind
things like dev sys proc and mount tmpfs to tmp var/tmp and run. Then use
chroot to enter the ISO.

Regards,
Peter