mesa-lib

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Tue Jun 19 11:39:23 CEST 2012

I've been thinking a bit about the mesa-lib module and as sofar
states most of our issues came up because we tried to be smart.

I'd go for another approach (if everyone agrees) in which a user
can _not_ decide which drivers to build and which not. That means
instead of letting the user choose which drivers (both dri and
gallium) to install - mesa will only ask if gallium should be
enabled or not.

That means:
	If you install mesa-lib you'll get asked if you want to
	install gallium
	if you say yes all DRI + Gallium drivers will be built.
	If you say no all DRI drivers (but no gallium ones)
	will be built.

Furthermore, since r300 needs llvm and we compile mesa (if gallium
is enabled) with --enable-gallium-llvm I'd make llvm a required
dependency, regardless of whether you use only dri or both dri +
gallium.

LLVM doesn't take much time, nor will it hurt to have it. Following
this approach will already solve most of problems and make
the module way easier and less smart. Mesa lib is nothing you
compile every day, so why care at all about which drivers it would
build.

Your opinion? Shall we go this route?