how to correctly update Xorg and its drivers like symaptics

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Apr 1 13:58:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have just learned that X configuration on Lunar is complete mess. Let's
clarify this:

I noticed that there are 2 directories in use on Lunar (I hope there is no
more):
1. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
2. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
3. and one file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - here are files installed by Lunar and
overwritten by Lunar during updates - do not modify anything here because
it will not survive lunar updates.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - this is user config directory which _overrides_
manufacturer (Lunar distro) settings from /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
You conf files here are save - Lunar will not overwrite them unless any
ill-behaving developer will told it do so.
So if you have this directory and have problem never forever fill a bug
report on ML or bugzilla because it will be closed as WONTFIX or you will
be asked to remove it and use default settings to reproduce the bug.
/etc/X11/xorg.conf - this _overrides_ everything from above dirs. You use
it on your own responsibility.

So if you are module developer always install X *.conf files to
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and _nowhere_else_
If you have something here which fixes a bug let us know so we could fix
this upstream and stop using this dir (except you have some personal
settings here only you like). The same goes to xorg.conf.
And this way you will not see by yourself bugs being in distro.

If you are user before reporting bug:
Move or remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a backup
place where X will not see them. Then try to reproduce bug and send it to
dev ML or bugzilla.

To clarify who I understand as user from distribution point of view:
user=user
admin,root=user
because both _use_ distribution right?

Why I on IRC was not enthusiastic about http://pastebin.com/88tA3dG1
Commenting out "evdev touchpad catchall" section is bad.
For a long time I was using netbook touchpad using evdev (which is
installed by default). So could have touchpad working out of te box.
I forgot to install synaptics driver and could use touchpad. Cool.
Commenting this out you kill this feature and force an user to look for
solution for not working touchpad at all. This is bad. User does not have
to know that he needs synpatics driver to have working touchpad.

If you installed xorg-server and xf86-input-synaptics in
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ you will have 2 files:
10-evdev.conf installed by xorg-server which uses evdev to enable input
from all available input devices so you can use X out of the box using any
input device. This may be not comfortable as using special driver but for
first time is good enough for example to open firefox and look for help.
50-synaptics.conf which overrides generic input evdev driver with better,
special driver for particular device here: alps,  synaptics and elantech
touchpads. This one is more comfortable to use because evdev gives you
only movement on touchpad. This driver enables scrolling on the edge of
touchpad and you can tap with finger on touchpad to click. Also cursor
movement better follows finger.

If you have custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ you smash
this delicate mechanism with big hammer and are unhappy that Lunar sucks.