[bug] lunar update removes a module instead upgrading (was: Re: [Lunar-commits] <moonbase> firefox4: removed because it is not security supported - use firefox5)

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 30 23:21:25 CEST 2011

>>> firefox4: removed because it is not security supported - use firefox5

>> Maybe it would have been better if this had been moved to zdeprecated
>> for a while so people had a chance to switch before it was removed.
>> Sometimes it's a pain in the bum when active modules get deleted or
>> renamed because the next time you 'lunar update' or even just 'lin
>> moonbase' the system has no clue about the old module name any more.

> I'm not happy too how module replacement is (not) done. We should add
> something like module replacement table so when lunar update displays
> message that a module was removed from moonbase it should look into
> replacement table to see what install instead. Such table should have 2
> columns like:
> firefox4 firefox5
> to let lunar update know that when firefox4 was removed from moonbase a
> firefox5 should be lined as an update.

When this was discussed before, my suggestion was that when a normal
user runs 'lin moonbase' (rather than a dev with a moonbase.git) then
lin should detect that the module has been removed/renamed and create
a copy in zlocal. This would give the user chance to tidy up.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start looking in the lin code
to implement such a feature. Maybe I'll look into it after my vacation.
Don't hold your breath though :-)

D.