How to correctly hadle optional_depends? (was: [Lunar-commits] <moonbase> kdeutils4: added new missing optional dep: system-config-printer)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Jun 25 14:15:00 CEST 2011

> isn't there a -DWITH_... option for this?
>
> please, let's not add anymore optional_depends with empty $3....
>
> Auke

The only thing I found is BUILD_printer-applet=ON
but this is the result of autodetection.

If optional_depends with empty parmaters is not welcome what to do if
there is no parameter to activate because decision is based on
autodetection?

When building modules I see 3 types of configure parameters:
both options present: enable/disable with/without - this is supported by
Lunar all optional_depends fields can be filled in.

only 1 option present: enable or disable, with or without - this way one
parameter of optional_depends fields have to be left empty.

none option present - configure is fully based on autodetection - for
example ntrack module. To force disable some options you have to sedit
configure.

BTW. Another situation when I do not know what to do. ntrack module
depends on one of libnl: libnl or libnl2 or libnl3 when only one of these
is required. How to design optional_depends this case? You can not use
alias to select one permanently because some modules use libnl, other
libnl2 another libnl3 depending on how fresh given module is.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski