[Lunar-commits] <moonbase> enchant: no statics

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Wed Jun 22 05:47:11 CEST 2011

On 06/21/2011 10:03 AM, wookietreiber wrote:
> hi
>
> I usually figure out about statics after I lin'ed new modules with
> lvu install mod, I don't actively search for them
>

> suggestion:
>
> make default configure use --disable-static and, for build important modules,
> like gcc or binutils, use a var in DETAILS, like STATIC=on.
>
> This would let us easily stay
> - static-free for all non-essential stuff, i.e. no rebuilds needed to make
> changes visible
> - and static-save, i.e. modules required for the build process won't break
> instantly with a broken dependency

well, frankly, the energy you're putting into making modules non-static
is a waste of time. You've got 3000 more modules to do, why not think
about it in a creative way?

We already have "bad_flags" which removes stuff from CFLAGS and the
like, why not extend it to remove things from OPTS too? then we can just
do:

	bad_flags --disable-static

in gcc/BUILD

and you, personally, can just run:

	lunar set OPTS --disable-static

hint: I'll take a patch against optimize.lunar....

Auke