Updating / building GNOME-2.32 before moving on to GNOME-3,0

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 12 11:38:17 CEST 2011

>> We probably need to go through the modules one at a time,
>> checking that they are at least as up-to-date as the version
>> given by "jhbuild info".
>
> I turned it on its head, and found a GNOME ftp mirror site and
> looked at the tarballs under the 2.32.0 directories rather than
> the jhbuild confusion. The list below covers most of the sources,
> but probably now all. Going source by source would take forever.
>
> In the sections below, [TODO] marks Lunar modules that did not
> get rebuilt using 'jhbuild list' info, or where I now see that
> the module is out of date. A minus shows there is no Lunar
> module with that name. I wasn't sure about the Perl bindings,
> hence the question mark.
>
> If someone knows where to find "Building Gnome for Dummies"
> please let this dummy know where it is.

I hit a bit of a wall with this, and didn't manage to finish it.
This was partly due to time, and partly because some packages
appear to need newer versions of dependencies than specified here.
For example, some want libunique-1.x and others libunique-3.x.

Unless someone has that "Building Gnome for Dummies", I'm afraid
that I don't know how to resolve these problems for gnome-2.32.

Which brings us to a bigger problem: I can't see how we can have
both gnome-2.30 [or 2.32] in the moonbase as well as gnome-3.0.
I could be wrong -- I frequently am -- but it looks like we may
need to have multiple versions of some of the lower dependencies
to have both, and I can't see an easy way to resolve that.

Duncan / engelsman