glibc and module-init-tools - fixes for glibc-2.14 build

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Jun 12 02:22:14 CEST 2011

> > hi
> >
> > there are new versions:
> >
> > glibc-2.14
> > module-init-tools-3.13
> >
> > I don't necessarily want to bump them on my box, has anyone an
> > environment for testing?
>
> I use glibc-2.14 (dropped Lunar's 2.12 long time ago, migrated from
> 2.13) module-init-tools-3.16
> bash-4.2-10
> and they works great. No update problems. Tested 3 Lunars: desktop,
> netbook, vmware.

Little warning for those updating to glibc 2.14. The RPC was dropped and
moved to libtirpc. So apps using RPC will fail with <rpc/rpc.h> file
missing because it does not exist. It was moved to libtirpc but now it
appears in other locaction than rpc/ directory so apps will still not find
it without patching. Another hack to compile successfuly RPC app is to use
linker param -ltirpc to link tirpc library.

Another issue for glibc-2.14 is libtirpc build will fail because of
missing:
fatal error: rpcsvc/nis.h: No such file or directory
which was also removed from glibc 2.14. Here is bug at libtirpc:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3311050&group_id=183075&atid=903784
no patch or fix present yet.

For those who would like to play with glibc-2.14 here is patch. You can
apply it on Lunar's glibc-2.12.2 module on zlocal. It works fine on all of
my 3 Lunars until you would like to compile app which uses RPC like
kdebase4-runtime for example:
/usr/src/kdebase-runtime-4.6.4/kioslave/nfs/kio_nfs.h:33:21: fatal error:
rpc/rpc.h: No such file or directory

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski