Dependencies, their tracking and what we need to improve.

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Jul 18 16:20:06 CEST 2011

> > > Whether the package management system is written in bash, C/C++, Perl
> > > Python, uses a database for dependencies, or whatever, is irrelevant.
> >
> > Not really. At one point the amount of packages needing to be handled
> > becomes too big, exactly the problem with lunar.
> >
> > That's why redoing lunar in python/perl doesn't make sense: You'd be an
> > idiot not going for C/C++ in the first place. So, we stick with bash.
>
> OK. So C/C++ to replace many of the functions used in the lunar
> functions/plugins with bash retained for DETAILS, DEPENDS, etc. So would that
> be it or would a database still be needed/useful?

See, a database always holds information better, than a textfile does;
it doesn't matter which language you use, to access information - If
you access them using file-operations it will always be slower than if
you access them from a database, because the database holds such data
better. Changing the language for our "core" would for sure give a
performance gain in many areas, having a database in form of a cache
will perform it even more. In my opinion a database is always useful.
Whether it's needed is like asking "do i need a car with 200km/h or
would be a car with 100km/h bring me from a to b aswell." :-P