Dependencies, their tracking and what we need to improve.

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Sun Jul 17 01:24:50 CEST 2011

On 07/16/2011 12:38 PM, Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
>> no, that is not what I'm saying at all.
>>
>> switching the tools we have to C while keeping things under the hood
>> exactly the same would be a waste of time. Maybe we'll get some speed,
>> but we don't solve any fundamental issues such as the ones discussed in
>> this long discussion.
>
> Well, correct me if i'm wrong: Currently the whole discussion was a
> waste of time, because there's nothing we can solve. Well. I'm happy
> with Lunar as-is, tho there are some small things which could need an
> improvement, and i can't believe there's nothing we can do.

lunar's codebase is already a huge patch blanket, and always was. At one
point, you just have to decide "no more" and either just ignore the
architectural deficiencies, or redesign and rewrite the entire thing to
fix those shortcomings.

I'm no longer willing to do something that's in between those two
options. You are proposing something like that - a partial fix for one
of the shortcomings in lunar.

It sounds rather harsh, I can understand that. But given the amount of
core code I wrote for lunar over the years, I think I can safely say
that I've learned enough from it to realize that it would be more
efficient to design something from scratch.

But, if I ever do that, I'll be pretty sure to pick a new name for that
project ;)

Auke