Dependencies, their tracking and what we need to improve.

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Sat Jul 16 08:39:34 CEST 2011

On 07/15/2011 11:24 PM, wookietreiber wrote:
> can't we work dynamically with either the chroot or the module solution,
> i.e. flag modules to use it only if necessary? of course we would have to
> implement either solution and add them to the codebase, but we still can
> use the old stuff for things that work, e.g. add just add
>
> default_module_based_config
>
> and this is where we set
>
> --prefix=/usr/$MODULE/$VERSION
>
> and setup the module file containing LD_LIBRARY_PATH n stuff, so it can be
> dynamically loaded.

it's a fun idea. let's leave it at that. this won't work on any scale.

> I don't know much about how the chroot solution would work, I must admit,
> but the module-based solution certainly has the advantage that we can
> dynamically allow users to have multiple versions installed which fixes
> the problem that some libraries like poppler usually break compatibility
> even with minor version bumps. this way you can have both the old working
> version as well as the cutting edge one.

so does a chroot-based version. You can have hundreds of versions of the
same library on your system, and it's easier to work with.

but, again, given the current codebase we have with lunar, it's not
worth 'hacking' this in.

Auke