KDE 4.7.0 - ready for testing

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 16 00:10:06 CEST 2011

On Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:19:49 PM Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made KDE 4.7.0 modules ready for install. They replace present kde4 in
> moonbase. Have a nice testing. Unpack to zlocal and go. :)
> (here are not only strict kde base packages but some new modules and few
> updated which are required to make kde 4.7.0 working). For example with
> moonbase libmms kdenetwork build will break but with updated one it is
> fine.
>
> kate module build breaks - do not know why. Probabely broken source code.
> Some of applications were exported from kde packages to separate packages
> by kde developers. You have to lin -r kde4 profile to include them in
> build as new optional dependencies.
>
> Unresolved Lunar issues which plagues KDE4.6 present in moonbase also
> makes problems with new kde470:
> -if qt4 is build with phonon kde build will break because qt has too old
> phonon incompatibile with the one expected by kde sources. Build qt4
> without phonon before building kde4.
> -before running kde4 lin qt4 with phonon or you will not get sound in kde.
> KDE at runtime uses qt4's phonon plugin for system sound. Another issue
> when kde is running on qt4 without phonon plugin is short freezing and
> strange sounds from speakers. You do not have to build qt4 with pohonon.
> Just disable system sounds in KDE: K menu->Settings->System Settings icon-
>
> >Application and System Notifications icon->Player Settings tab->No
>
> sounds.
> -before running kde4 lrm ConsoleKit module or you will get freezing on
> every K menu access.
>
> have a nice day,
> Zbigniew Luszpinski

Thanks for taking the time to sort out the new structure. I started work on
this last week and will look at what you have done and incorporate it with
what I already have.

In addition to the breakout of the base modules the $MAJOR stuff will be
removed from DETAILS.

A hazarded guess; the sound issue will be corrected/fixed when qt-4.8.0 is
released; it is now in beta1. Unitl the official release of the next qt I do not
plan on bumping kde to 4.7.0; even if that means we have to wait until
kde-4.7.1. I see no point on making people recompile qt and/or kde multiple
times unitl I have a better idea of how well the former plays with the later.

--
Dennis `stumbles` Veatch
Lunar Linux Developer