lcer - lunar compile error report (simplifying support)

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sat May 15 19:02:29 CEST 2010

Duncan:
>> 1. most users who get to #lunar usually only need a hint to get going,
>>    there aren't that many who are asked for compile logs, etc.
>>    lcer.sh is still a good idea to be able to get the information.

Ratler:
> On the contrary, I often find it necessary to ask for the compile log,
> or at least the last 100 rows or so. I like the idea anyway.

I bow to your greater experience and wisdom :-)

Duncan:
>> 2. Why does it have to be part of lunar/theedge? Can't it be a module
>>    on its own? The user asks on #lunar, someone says 'lin lcer' and
>>    then run 'lver module' and we'll have a look.

Ratler:
> I think it would fit even better into lunar-tools.

Ah! I didn't explain myself well enough. I meant, "why does it have to
be part of lunar/theedge *NOW* while it is being developed?" lcer could
start out as a standalone module while it was being debugged, which would
avoid any problems integrating it into lunar/theedge, or needing someone
to wave the dead goat on sofar's behalf. In the long term I agree that
it should be part of the lunar tools.

Duncan:
>> It's a bit like sofar's module submission queue and review system. It's
>> a good idea, but really needs more people to use it...

Ratler:
> Sofars idea is great, it's just the implementation from the developers
> side that should be easier. Right now it's to much of an effort to work
> through the queue, but that's in my opinion. That's why there are so few
> of the developers using it. I for one love the fact that we let the
> users assist us. If we make it even more simple I'm sure most devs would
> come to love it.

I like sofar's module submission system and queue page. It's much better
than user contributions going past on the mailing list and then getting
forgotten about. However, it's unfortunate that a developer has to login
to doppio to be able to run the review script, when most of the submissions
probably require testing on a local desktop first. From my experience, it
makes for a bit of a weird workflow, but I can't see how to improve it:
http://wiki.lunar-linux.org/index.php/Module_Submission_for_developers

Cheers
Duncan