gnome-2.28.2 updates for Lunar

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 28 18:28:56 CET 2010

I've been holding off on the module submission queue entries
because several of them relate to gnome-2.28 and beyond.

My old box died recently, and I have a new vanilla system, so
I thought it might be interesting to have a go with gnome, only
to find that the existing gnome2 profiles didn't build for me.
So I decided to set off on the voyage of discovery to update
the gnome modules from scratch, using only zlocal, and soon
got in a huge mess. But I learned a couple of things doing it:

0. don't try to update the docbook modules if you don't know how
1. git is your friend (but first I had to get more proficient)
2. zmcgrew already had a gnome branch in his moonbase.git
3. the jhbuild utility doesn't tell the complete story because
   jhbuild --list shows the order of build without versions
4. lazyape pointed out that there is a list of version numbers
   http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/teams/releng/2.28.2/

So I cloned the moonbase, fetched zmcgrew's zmcgrew and gnome
branches, and merged them into a new working branch. Then I
worked through the jhbuild list in order, using the versions
file as guide, and build each module, one at a time.

The following text relates to the attached 'jhbuild-2.28-list.txt'
and 'versions-2.28.2-annotated.txt' files.

For those modules in the original versions-2.28.2 list, I did not
check whether there were updates or not, only whether I could build
them directly from the working branch moonbase. Those are marked
with 'ok'. Those modules in the working branch moonbase with a
version newer than the versions-2.28.2 list, I've marked with the
[zmcgrew: x.y.z] tag whether Zach updated them or not. Those that
I have had to update are marked with the [engelsman: x.y.z] tag.
There are also annotations about specific options to be set/unset.

There were a lot of modules in the jhbuild list that didn't appear
in the versions file, or which were pulled in as dependencies of the
other modules. I've checked all of the moonbase versions against
the project home pages and have marked with the [available: x.y.z]
tags those modules which I could build but for which newer versions
are available and which might need to be updated later.

The modules that I have updated are available on the gnome branch
of git://lunar-linux.org/~engelsman/moonbase.git  (note the '~')

I've almost completed all of the modules on the jhbuild list, but
have become stuck on DeviceKit-power with its undefined references,
and all of the ones on the versions-2.82 list that depend on it, such
as gdm and gnome-session. I've searched the web, but haven't found
the clue that I need to solve this.

So now I'm stuck, and don't have much time to devote to this for the
next couple of weeks, so I'm sending this out in the hope that it will
help someone else, such as zmcgrew or lazy_ape.

I've been running in a minimal twm and xterm environment, so have only
been able to test that the modules download, compile and install OK.
I haven't tried to run any of them yet. I'm saving that for later :-)

Cheers
Duncan / engelsman