Developer - Poll results - And the next step

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Fri Aug 27 22:46:35 CEST 2010

Dear developers,

It's time to end the poll and review the result.
The top 10 results wanted by the developers by order
of priority are listed below:

1 1.8	I know Lunar isn't looking for world domination, but we
	should "advertise" a bit to raise the Lunar profile. We need to
	bring in some more contributors, and hopefully developers, to
	share some of the testing and workload. With more developers,
	we could also release a new ISO more regularly, raising the
	awareness level, and so on.
2 2.3	Check and fix dependencies for modules, starting with the
	most important ones.
3 2.3	Revise the wiki pages. E.g. streamline
	the Writing Modules / Module Guidelines / DETAILS / BUILD /
	pages. Overhaul the references to X11R6, linux-2.4, etc.
4 2.3	See which old bugs are still valid and which can be closed.
5 2.3	rewrite lnet
6 2.3	hardware auto-detection and driver install plus
	autoconfiguration
7 2.4	Improved handling of removed or renamed
	modules. Would it be possible to save the removed module files
	in zlocal or similar so the user has a chance to do something
	with them? For renamed modules, is there some way of creating a
	"redirect" from the old name to the new name?
8 2.4	Dependecies - We need some way to define more than one
	dependecy with the same "description" for example libsoup needs
	gnome-keyring (dev files) + gconf if used with gnome. Saying n
	to one of them would cause --without-gnome (which is bad and
	makes the second question useless).
9 2.5	Add default_cmake and default_perl functions like there is
	for default_build.
10 2.5	Fix the zlocal depends problem, where the main moonbase
	version overrides the zlocal version.

The initial idea was to pick the 5 highest rated ideas, however after
reviewing the result the top 10 is probably more in order. Some ideas
are easy to fix, others will require a joint effort.

Next we need developers to volounteer and pick one or two ideas,
if the idea is big enough to require a small team it's up to you to
co-ordinate and plan the work, talk with the developers you think you
need to accomplish the task at hand.

When ideas have been choosen we either add them as a feature request,
improvment or bug on the bugtracker. This will make it easier when
working together by adding comments on the current progression,
it will also allow for everyone else to follow the progress or even
assist with solutions.

Questions or any suggestions?

Next all you need to do is pick an idea and tell us which one it is.
I will try to sum it up when the mail start flying in.

--
Sincerely
Stefan Wold