What to do with xz?

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Oct 19 09:04:51 CEST 2009

Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>> what is wrong with the current gzip module?
>
> OMG O_O
> Keeping gzip unpacker packed inside gz file is insane.
> When my girlfriend sent me rar unpacker inside rar archive it was funny.
> If Lunar developer says it is right to keep gzip unpacker packed inside gz file it is not.
> If you think that all of us have Lunar CD in drive ready to restore gunzip you are terribly wrong.
> I feel really embarrassed explaining this _again_ on Linux distro _developer_ list.
> If you loose gunzip you will not be able to install it again because lin will be unable to unpack gzip-*.tar.gz file to build gunzip.
> If xz unpacks gzip and gzip unpacks bzip2 and bzip2 unpacks xz then if you loose one of these you can fix it immediately with just a lin of missing unpacker. Now to fix missing gunzip you have to have Lunar CD or resurrect it (if you keep compiled sources in bzips - waste of space).
>
>> we've always assumed a baseline of gzip+bzip2 compression in the lunar
>> ISO's. let's not change that.
>
> OK. Now I understand. This is politics not technology. My technical explanation or discussion is pointless.
>
>> I want you to work on adding xz/lzma support.
>
> Already done. Commited 8 days ago. Works perfect for me.
> If someone encounters xz/lzma packed source he/she is asked to install xz if it is not installed.
> Then xz modules are unpacked the same way as bzips or gzips. Nobody is left broken.
> However this means nothing now because there is no xz sources in moonbase.
> Writing this plugin was waste of time and resources.
>
>> I do not want you to work
>> on messing everything up by changing EVERY moonbase module to go from
>> gz/bzip2 compression to xz/lzma. Doing so is completely
>> counterproductive and will just frustrate other developers. All you are
>> contributing is changes for the sake of changes.
>
> I followed gnu.org path:
> With new release xz/lzma tarball appears together with legacy, fatty gz next to it.
> If you browse ftp.gnu.org you will find that old releases are gz only and new are both xz and gz releases.
> (compare sizes of autoconf, coreutils, gzip, gawk, libtool (lzma), m4, parted, texinfo (lzma), wget(lzma))
> By updating module with new app release new version tarball is downloaded.
> When new gzip release appeared I bumped version 1.3.12->13 in moonbase and chosen xz tarball instead of gz.
> No mess. Just ordinary version update. The same way some time ago I asked people to use bz2
> instead of gz or Z and ftp instead of http. Just to make downloads faster.
> And packing gzip with xz is safer to me than packing gzip with gzip but others find this otherwise.
>
> I think the most frustrating and counterproductive thing are white spaces added by some people to make diffs in git bigger.
> This is awful to read someone's path via web git interface to realize that 80% of changes are spaces added here or there.
> [...]

you write way too much text for something as simple as adding support
for xz files.

you try to make way too large of a change touching the very core of
lunar's way of packing. And all at once.

Take a step back, and introduce your changes in small and non-invasive
changes, and over time. Time, as in months, not days. For some of the
changes we previously did in lunar we took 6+ months to merge features.

Cheers,

Auke