udev 138 present in zbiggy-WIP

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Mar 11 22:51:00 CET 2009

Tuesday 24 February 2009 02:02:27 Dennis Veatch wrote:
> One only curious thing
> I noticed in /var/log/messages. There was only one instance of udev
> starting and that was for 128, even though the box had been rebooted
> several times, and I had just barely gotten past the lunar rebuild part,
> recompile kernel, etc. I was expecting to see more than one. I mention that
> because a grep on messages after installing 138 and a reboot, there were no
> messages about udev 138 starting.
> A  udev stop/start produced one.
>
> On a side note after starting udev, dmesg showed this;
>
> udev: starting version 138
> udev: deprecated sysfs layout; update the kernel or disable
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED; some udev features will not work correctly
>
> Right now your looking pretty good.

You should lrm old udev or make uninstall if you compiled manualy.
Also lin lunar-init as it contains new mount script. CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED
should be disabled in kernel - this everyone should apply.

> Again just a minor thing with udev starting up, obviously 138 is working
> but not throwing that into /var/log/messages. Not big deal, but it would
> warm my fuzzies if a notification was given some where.

I have just added udev version info to udev daemon script and to mount script.
run_with_msg in mount script can be replaced with echo if your log writer does
not catch it to file.

> Oh, and you will want to do a `lunar fix hal`.

How do you think: Is it worth to add this to post_install of udev or leave it
to user as it is now. I never did it on any udev 13x and everything works for
me.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski