udev 138 present in zbiggy-WIP- followup

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 24 13:18:37 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 6:19:10 am Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 February 2009 3:35:12 am zbiggy wrote:
> > Dnia 24 lutego 2009 2:02 Dennis Veatch <dennisveatch at bellsouth.net>
>
> napisał(a):

> > > Well your in luck, just got started rebuilding a box. So gave it a
> > > whirl. A successful reboot and no errors seen at that stage. One only
> > > curious thing I noticed in /var/log/messages. There was only one
> > > instance of udev starting and that was for 128, even though the box had
> > > been rebooted several times, and I had just barely gotten past the
> > > lunar rebuild part, recompile kernel, etc. I was expecting to see more
> > > than one. I mention that because a grep on messages after installing
> > > 138 and a reboot, there were no messages about udev 138 starting.
> > > A  udev stop/start produced one.
> > >
> > > On a side note after starting udev, dmesg showed this;
> > >
> > > udev: starting version 138
> > > udev: deprecated sysfs layout; update the kernel or disable
> > > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED; some udev features will not work correctly
> > >
> > > Right now your looking pretty good.
> >
> > Thanks for testing. When go back home will look for these. I will also
> > downgrade udev to Lunar's current official and then update back to 138 to
> > make sure some old files were not left on system. Also I will rethink if
> > we should keep udev compat rules to keep compatibility with older
> > kernels. Thanks for detailed report.
> >
> > have a nice day,
> > Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski
>
> Actually, I think you could leave it as it is for now, and see what falls
> down. I normally have that CONFIG turned off, just forgot to do that.
>
> Dennis

Tried it on my T60+X1400+fglrx with CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED disabled, and
another box with NVIDIA, and found no problems. To me those are a couple of
the biggies.

Again just a minor thing with udev starting up, obviously 138 is working but
not throwing that into /var/log/messages. Not big deal, but it would warm my
fuzzies if a notification was given some where.