lunar-1.6.4-alpha3-x86_64.iso issues

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 15 02:14:04 CEST 2008

Ratler,

that is some mighty fine work, and well appreciated. Though I have two issues
with this ISO.

First. For the longest time the ISO has had reiserfs, XFS and/or JFS built
into the kernel. The reason for the "and/or" on the last two items, I am not
sure if one or both were built in. AFAICR, at least two of those were, and I
am puzzled why they have been moved a module, and forcing a kernel recompile
on the install to use them. I would really appreciate at least reiserfs
returned to a built-in. I only bark about this because I have been using
reiserfs for that past 4 years or so with lunar.

Along that same topic. I think to force a kernel rebuild to get them, lessens
the ability to use the ISO as a recovery tool. But that is just my opinion.

Now to the main issue. At the partitioning phase, not knowing reiserfs would
require a kernel rebuild, I had to go back and choose ext3. Well, I could go
through the motions of selecting the partition, choosing ext3, and all
appeared normal. Until it got to the installing part. None of the partitions
were mounted and the install failed.

There is one other thing. When you first arrive at the partitioning menu, it
shows you the current filesystem of the partitions. Right now, after choosing
the partition, making it / (as an example), and choosing the new filesystem
you want it to be. When you arrive back to the partitioning menu, you are
shown the device, that it will be /, and the size. It would be great if the
menu also showed you the filesystem you have selected.

Oh, and one other item. The iwl3945 needs the ipw3945-ucode. Though I am not
for sure if we can include that on the ISO. But at a guess, our lead developer
might be able to work out that issue for us.

Still, it is some fine work, and thanks.
--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
It's worth the spin.