[Lunar-commits] rpm: +0.5.1=5.0 new rpm 5.0

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Jan 28 23:52:30 CET 2008

Monday 28 of January 2008 22:20:11 Chad 'v3rt1g0' Kittel wrote:
> Are these really the same project?
>
> I thought I read somewhere that RPM5 was not the same as RPM(4).  I
> thought it was a fork of what RPM was and isn't even endorsed/created
> by RedHat (unlike what the descriptions say that you have left in the
> module).  Maybe I'm wrong?
>
> Would RPM(4) and RPM5 live side by side without conflicting?

I compared lvu install of both rpms and they look very similar.
That is why the conflicts file was added.
I tried to find some info what's happened to rpm. It looks there are two
sites:
www.rpm.org which develops rpm 4.4.x and
www.rpm5.org which finished rpm 5.0, set it as stable and created 5.1 unstable
branch. Both sites are active and recently updated.
It looks rpm.org just fixes 4.4 version without adding new features and
rpm5.org hosts new major versions with major new functions added(cross
platform, macros instead of rpmrc file, LZMA packer added, XAR file format
added, everything below RPMv4 format dropped). *.xar files depacking may be
useful for us in the future.

For LZMA unpack there might be needed additional module dep. WIP.

I usually use rpm to unpack some binaries using mc in Lunar so added both just
in case.
rpm-old should be good to unpack old/present archives.
rpm should be good for present/future rpms/xars.
What I learned is the new rpm5 is used probably by PLD distro and some other
less known. rpm 4.4 use all major distros.

If you know something about rpm situation feel free to write on ML. I would be
happy to have only one all-in-one rpm and see some light on this rpm mess.

have a nice day,
zbiggy