lvu failed (patch)

samuel samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:22:09 CET 2008

i disagree :)
several reasons:
1. it's terribly slow to go through all modules you once installed
(and as a developper i frequently rebuild my system which just
increases the activity log)

On Jan 8, 2008 7:53 PM, Kok, Auke <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> samuel wrote:
> > allrighty... "rewrote" the patch... you might like it better this time ;)
>
> it's a good start but it fails to account for a few things:
>
> 1) new modules that failed to install and were not installed before
2. it's unnecessary to get information that failed building and are
not installed.
why?
1. lvu failed is mainly to check for failed modules during lunar
rebuild or lunar renew, hence no new modules are installed, so all
modules failing will be included in the list `lsh list_installed`.
When an installed module would pull in a new dependency (one that
isn't installed yet) it will fail anyway so it will be included in the
lvu failed if i only scan for installed stuff
2. if you install a new module that fails you will 1. or fix it or 2.
find an alternative. In both cases it doesn't need to be included in
the lvu failed command

> 2) old modules that failed, installed ok later and were removed
why would anyone want to know about these modules? i do not consider
it a tool for developpers only.. I consider it as a tool that can show
you which modules failed building during the last rebuild, renew or
update you ran... (in fact... it's almost an $(ls /usr/src)

> 3) the list will potentially be as large as all the modules you have installed
This is not true... Right now the command works exactly as i intended
it to be... it will only show the failed status if the "end" status of
the module was failed. it doesn't show any modules that are installed
perfectly now...

> I would reprogram this and make it a bit smarter:
>
> -  read the file front to end
done that... it's horribly slow

> -  upon encountering a "failed" add $module to the list of failed modules
this is even slower :p (this is where i stopped my coding cause it was
way way way too slow)

> -  for each line then, if it concerns a module that is in the failed list:
>   o  if a succesfull 'lrm' was found, remove the module from the list
>   o  if a succesfull 'lin' was found, remove the module from the list
>
> after this procedure, grep each module in the file for the last 'failed' entry,
> and print out the entire line.
>

> this should be enough for someone to code up, go give it a try ;)
>
> Auke

I can see where you are going with this code and it could certainly do
something usefull, but it's not really how i intended the patch... And
it looses a lot of usefulness due to being so terribly slow
The thing you are trying to implement is a developper tool, while i
was merely looking at a quick way to display what modules failed
during the last rebuild or renew...

Samuel