glibc 2.6 question

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Sep 24 14:36:05 CEST 2007

Monday 24 of September 2007 00:29:54 Moritz Heiber wrote:
> Okay, a quick followup on all glibc related update questions:
>
> I'd love to bump glibc. Infact, we really have to bump it. Applications
> are starting to break because we're using a very old glibc. Yet, there
> are two things that need to be done in order for glibc to be bumped:
>
> 1) We need a new kernel-headers-2.6 module. Right now, there's a module
> in crater/ that packs up your current kernel sources, sanitizes them
> and puts them into /usr/include/ ... which is what we need basically.
> The problem is: the headers have to match the ones glibc is compiled
> against. Thus I propose that we pack up our new headers alongside the
> glibc bump and put it on our servers. That way, people updating glibc
> will also get the latest kernel headers which we prepared.

BTW: I found in a book about Linux, in chapter about compiling linux-2.0.36
kernel something like that (procedure before make menuconfig):

cd /usr/include
rm -rf asm linux scsi
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

How do you think, is it worth implementing in Lunar?
Will it do more good than bad by symlinking other usr/include dirs to current
kernel sources? (This can make packing kernel-headers easier).
The only question is compatibility. In old days this procedure was working.

zbiggy