glibc-2.6

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Sep 10 23:26:17 CEST 2007

Hello,

in reference to my other glibc-2.6 related mails... :)

attached you'll find "lvu diff" of glibc (2.6.1) and "lvu diff" of
coreutils. Why coreutils? Because there is a little Problem with
futime. It's only fixed in the CVS Version of coreutils - Here's a
Description of the Bug (found that out by using google ;)):

	It's gnulib related, the futimens() prototype changed during
	standardization. That means the one in gnulib does not
	match the one in glibc-2.6 (and higher)

To fix it i added at the top of the coreutils BUILD file:
	sed -i "s at futimens@hassan_&@" $(echo `find . -type f -print |
xargs grep -li 'futimens'`)

Maybe some dev will look more into this?

As of glibc:
After compiling glibc 2.6.1 i recompiled binutils (i'm using 2.18) and
gcc 4.1.2 and coreutils with the fix explained above. Everything was
working fine. I adjusted the glibc BUILD script a bit more (thx to
ratler for your help) and recompiled glibc again. Now recompiling the
kernel and some other apps.

TODO:
	- it needs to be tested on x86_64 (i edited the BUILD File, too)
	- it needs to be tested on other ARCH (like sparc)
	- it needs to be tested in general ;-)
	- Someone might to check that my code in the BUILD files
	  is working when using linux-2.6-mm or such things.
	- Someone might check that the actual kernel is located
	  in /usr/src/linux (See comments in BUILD file)
        - It seems that some locales are gone, this needs to be
          fixed.

You'll find some comments in the BUILD File, please read them
carefully. Any questions? ;-)

Hopefully many of you will test the module.. ;-)

Cheers
Jean