binutils 2.18?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Sep 9 03:00:35 CEST 2007

Sunday 09 of September 2007 01:16:23 Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
> someone working on binutils 2.18?

I started to use 2.18 since 6 September ( before I used 2.17.1 to rebuild
whole iso+all packages I use). Just compile modules and check how they
behave. All tested modules were built correctly by 2.18 so far:
tk
smpeg
SDL_mixer
tuxracer
xmp-2.2.0-pre6 (new, internal module, not commited yet)

>  if not i would.

Take it. So far 2.18 behaves nice.
I only made version up in details to start using it.

lin binutils does not like one or more from these flags:
-fweb -frename-registers -finline-functions -fforce-addr -freorder-blocks -pipe -s -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT
I have not checked yet which of these is compilation breaker.

If you encounter compilation error of new binutils just add to BUILD:
+  unset CFLAGS &&

Then you can enable some safe optimizations:
+  export CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon64 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse,387" &&
This is only example taken from my machine. It shows arch and simd can be
safely enabled. YMMV

I have no time to look at binutils more but if you (or someone else) take it I
will keep posting comments if I learn something during using 2.18
zbiggy