More git news

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 16:07:34 CET 2007

Yes, the mailing list commit messages are being worked on. Yes, you're also able
to view the script yourselves and make diffs/patches to the script.  The
unmodified script is part of the git-1.5.3.6 tarball in the contrib/hooks/post-receieve-mail
file.

Git browsing/client tools in moonbase include:

tig (ncurses based git repo browser)
qgit (qt3 based git client)
giggle (gtk version of gitk)

Built-in to the git tarball you have:

gitview (Python gtk git repo browser)
gitk (tcl/tk git repo browser)
git-gui (tcl/tck git client)

My tip from yesterday for creating a personal branch of moonbase was slightly off.
Here are the corrected steps.

1. Be located in the root of your git moonbase
2. git branch my_moonbase (this creates a new branch, if it doesn't already exist)
3. git checkout my_moonbase (this switches to the named branch)
4. Now you can go crazy with adding new modules, without fear of hurting your
standard Lunar moonbase.
5. git commit -a (saves your changes to your personal moonbase)
6. git checkout master (switches back to the standard moonbase)
7. resume regular moonbase development cycle (git pull, git commit -a, git push)

Anytime you need to switch back to your personal moonbase just do:

git checkout my_moonbase
git merge master (this pick's up all the changes to standard moonbase and
   incorporates them into your personal moonbase)

If you add new modules to your moonbase a simple "lvu where XXXXX" as root,
will recreate the Lunar coretool indexes. I suggest really using XXXXX as this
module doesn't exist in moonbase and that's what forces the recreation of the

The lvu search functions are MUCH faster due to the fact that there are no
longer thousands of .svn dirs/files that need to be searched.

You might also try in your git repo's, the command "tig show blob" where
blob is the 40 digit sha1sum. Those 40 digit blobs are git's method to
uniquely identify git transactions. Very useful for cherry-picking
commits or performing diffs between two git transactions.

Terry Chan