glibc/kernel-headers bump

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Thu Nov 1 21:29:24 CET 2007

Hello fellow devs,

as you might have noticed Dennis, Jannis and I have been preparing a
glibc and kernel-headers bump. Everything is going pretty well. We
managed to fix all of the modules known to break under these new
condititions (except raidtools .. but its being worked on). The only
showstopper .. or 'blocker' as you may call it .. is that glibc 2.7
does not support the "old" LinuxThreads but only NPTL. Since I haven't
run a 2.4.x based linux system for quite some time now I cannot recall
whether or not it actually supports running under a glibc compiled with
NPTL support. If anyone has the knowledge .. please enlighten us all.

If linux 2.4.x is not able to make use of the newer threads inside
glibc .. and thus is incompatible with glibc's > 2.4.x .. I strongly
urge the removal of linux 2.4 for the sake of all of us. The time has
come to move along .. or get left behind. We're now using an almost 3
year old glibc .. which has served us well. Yet, newer applications are
starting break because its simply too old.

So, the two things left before we can actually release the new
glibc/kernel-headers are:

1) Clarify whether or not linux 2.4 is able to run under a NPTL
environment.

And if that is not the case:

2) Vote on the removal of linux 2.4.

Please comment.