[Lunar-commits] r24459 - moonbase/trunk/xorg7/xorg-server

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu May 17 22:32:33 CEST 2007

> > Attention Nvidia Geforce users, XvMC/xxmc is broken.
> > This means there is no MPEG-2 hw decoding since xorg 1.3.
> > Do not update or wait for another Nvidia driver release if you need
> > MPEG-2 decoding in hardware. I'm investigating XvMC problem but it looks
> > all traces lead to Nvidia binary blob so nothing can be done.
>
> please revert this for now. There is no need to push this to everyone.
> It'll likely frustrate a lot of users for no good reason.
>
> lets wait for a *stable* release first.
>
> Auke

I have managed to make XvMC working. Almost. This means XvMC works on mplayer.
I just took video related libs and protos from "individual" xorg ftp directory
and done compilation. After reboot XvMC works. I'm not sure it is because of
libs from individual directory (same version but file size and content is
different at make files) or just recompilation after new xorg-server was
installed.
As for xine it looks there is something wrong with xine-lib. Other people
confirm this problem with xine. There is bug opened in xine bugzilla. I have
attached my comments. As for now xine-lib users can use standard Xv output or
other outputs (like GL) or simply mplayer.
xine's XvMC/xxmc bug is seen as freeze after trying to play dvds or mpeg-2
file. kill -9 pid resolves this freezing by killing xine.
After my recent fixes there are no known compilation breaks that is why
xorg-server came back. However the decision about xorg-server revert I
forward to Florin because he has done inital commit. I only reveted it to
implement necessary fixes and then brought it back.

I do not know if xine's xxmc/XvMC bug is Nvidia bug or not. Only users of VIA
KMxxx/KNxxx chipsets can confirm/deny this issue. No other GPUs than
VIA/Nvidia offer XvMC. Intel is going to support it in this year but so far
there is only old i815 supported at less sophisticated MC level only.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew