[Lunar-rfc] full dynamic services file

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Jun 16 22:09:05 CEST 2007

Saturday 16 of June 2007 19:34:28 Kok, Auke wrote:
> > Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl> wrote:
> > this module makes Lunar RFC3232 compatible.
> > It replaces old, incomplete Lunar's default /etc/services file with new
> > dynamic RFC3232 compatible one.
> >
> since lunar itself updates /etc/services, we have a conflict here.

I thought services file is preinstalled with ISO.
How Lunar updates /etc/services?
I have done lvu from services | grep etc
and there was no results.
When I realized the services file is so old it has no submission port on list
(so postfix was hard to setup) decided to update it and make it as much fresh
as possible to have easy configuration of postfix and other apps. The most
comfortable way of keeping it fresh was to make it as module.

> would it be possible for this module to `merge` services into the services
> file instead?

The iana list is officially complete. Merging two service files will make some
services double listed. I see no reason for merging. Iana file is now
dynamically updated so every new service officially accepted by iana is added
to list (iana due to historical reasons also holds ports accepted by other
organizations to keep one fresh central list). I found monthly updates enough
to keep services file up to date and not make too much traffic on iana server
and users' machines.

> also, your module makes /etc/services tracked, which is dangerous
> (deleting/uninstalling the services module will delete the /etc/services
> file).

No deletion possible. Only version update is tracked. I have just done lrm
services and services file is still in place. lrm services only excludes
services file from later updates.

> I would prefer it if the module didn't 'track' /etc/services.

Then it could not be updatable monthly. Give it a try - everything should be
fine. However I tested it only on 1 machine.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew "zbiggy" Luszpinski