[Lunar-commits] r24760 - moonbase/trunk/x11/NVIDIA-beta

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Jun 9 19:52:04 CEST 2007

Saturday 09 of June 2007 13:44:59 Moritz Heiber wrote:
> First of all, I don't care about the NVIDIA devs and their broken
> bugreport scripts. NONE .. and I mean that, absolutely none of our
> modules should be working the ways for application developers but
> rather for our users and for us.

Some of us have to use these scripts. Every user visiting nvnews.net forum and
filling bugreport is asked to collect data using this script.
Another people (like me) are bug hunters who check every release and current
configuration to post bug if found any.
Thanks to these reports driver work somehow and development moves faster.
You can revert changes to NVIDIA-beta module if you wish as I have it in
zlocal. But first look at attached pictures which present the situation when
updating to kernel 2.6.21.4 (old kernel 2.6.21.3 is loaded and now updating
to new one -> kernel-reqs). http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wr5dn 191kb size
(after clicking there will be Nvidia-pictures.tar.bz2 ready for download at
the bottom of page).

nvidia-bug-report results:
bug-report1.png
bug-report2.png
on the left side is bugreport run when new build script was used to install
on the right side is bugreport run when old build script was used to install

kernel-part.png
here is opposite:
on the right side is install log created after new build script was used to
install (moj)
on the left side is install log created after older build script was used to
install - the (org)inal one

install log was taken from: /var/log/lunar/install/NVIDIA-beta-100.14.09

> Having said that, my goal with the NVIDIA module is to get it installed
> with X present .. and without stupid and retarded warnings about
> modules still being loaded/active or supposed "old" files lying around.

Sorry but it breaks when X is loaded. Both older and new one too.
nvidia-installer is responsible for that. It is not my or yours fault -
nvidia-installer just works in this way. I usually run lunar update, leave
system with active root text console and turn off everything to get speedup
and fast sytem shutdown. Then go sleeping. So had no idea the X makes
installation break. Will look around in spare time how to fight this problem.
I suppouse it is possible to bypass whole installer and replace it with big
custom lunar install script.

> So far, I've only succeeded in getting the kernel module compiled
> outside the crap they call an installer. I haven't had to the time to
> cope with the rest.

I think is it a matter of copying binary files to right dirs. I think I have
idea how to do it.

> Have you tried compiling the module two times in a row? That should
> pick up the old libraries lunar saves automatically and fail miserably.

I have done lin NVIDIA-beta && lin NVIDIA-beta. Nothing wrong. It during
second pass removes 1st installation. (I see yellow Lunar warning).

> IMHO, your changes hardly are an improvement.

It's rather cleanup. you can't expect new features.
bug-report changes are not visible to all users. However developers can find
there useful info.
kernel part however may improve something a little.

BTW: Another way is to mix the best from both scripts. I sucessfuly made
script which makes module and depmod for both kernels equally.

zbiggy