[Lunar-commits] r25168 - moonbase/trunk/graphics/libpng

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Jul 21 13:14:30 CEST 2007

Friday 20 of July 2007 01:59:33 Kok, Auke wrote:
> no sweat, however:
>
> 1) if compile flags break something, you should _remove_ them with
> `bad_flags ALL` (for instance)

There is no break (before/after patch). As I understood from docs if MMX is
turned off, all MMX code is emulated using x86 instructions. I think fast
CPUs can handle this MMX emulation without problem, but owners of first slow
mmx pentiums may feel it slow because their best cpu feature will remain
unused. Most new machines have mmx so why not using it where available :) .
There is no need of removing ALL flags. I found it more comfortable to
replace only few making problem with less intrusive replacement during
runtime.

> 2) adding extra compile flags is generally wrong (breaks on i586/k6,
> non-x86 hw e.g.)

There is only one added flag: march. march is autodetected from uname -m so
always match installed CPU. I added this flag as a nice feature after
lowering/disabling some flags to not hurt performance maniacs who mostly use
Lunar for getting max speed.

> so, just remove the offending flags.

I still believe the replacement is better.
If flag not exist it will not be replaced at all.
If exist it will be turned off or changed to safe replacement.
Adding march=`uname -m' will not hurt anybody and enable CPU support right for
machine.

Do what you find right,
Copyleft - all rights reversed :D

Zbigniew