[Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1]

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Jul 4 23:48:34 CEST 2007

Wednesday 04 of July 2007 15:22:39 Moritz Heiber wrote:
> I veto any udev update that does not port our rule set over to the
> newer udev. Also, any update must go through me before it is to be
> committed.
>
> Yes, I'm serious. I don't want this to become messier than it is
> already. udev has become one of the most vital components of any linux
> system to date thus it needs special attention .. and a guardian angel
> (me).
>
> Moritz
>
> PS: I don't want this to sound as if I was the grand master of udev ..
> but I've been working on it since day 0 thus I know what it can and
> can't do ..

I was not going to commit udev. Just this topic arised so put my 3 cents here.
udev 113 is compatible with Lunar by default - this is what I wanted to say. I
do not need all this patched things Lunar's udev offers so use the raw one.
(Being serious - this is not because Lunar's udev patches - I just like new
toys :-P)

Wednesday 04 of July 2007 20:42:59 Kok, Auke wrote:
> that would require a initrd anyway. We don't make initrd's at all, so that
> is not of concern. However, please read Moe's comments too.

initrd??? No.
udev using .rules runs modprobe.sh when event matches.
modprobe.sh according to .rules is in /lib/udev.
It does some if-fi checks, prints infos and warnings on console, checks
blacklist and finally uses modprobe to load module.
I took gentoo one and looking what it does started to writing one for Lunar.
But to be honest do we need such bells and whistles? Finally ended up with
exec /sbin/modprobe "${@}"
Yeah I know I'm lazy.
I still have this gentoo script - can send it to someone who would like to
rewrite it for Lunar. It is a little bit patched now to be working in Lunar.

zbiggy