read bash?

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Jan 31 02:57:26 CET 2007

Moritz Heiber wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:36:01 +0100
> Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>
>> i just want to make lunar better and all i get is your
>> BS...of course ive heard what you say...but im not
>> satisfied with that. i want this support.  you didnt say
>> that you dont ever want to support such things.  all you
>> said is i _could_ stop. but why? because you failed? you
>> even tried to implement the same thing...  and failed, is
>> that my fault?  no. is it bash's fault?  no.
>
> Man, you're really going for it now.
>
> I'm not going to get stuck in this. You aren't worth it.
>
> Good luck duplicating work that has been done already.

this is completely irrelevant to Jan wanting to get something to work for
himself. You're completely bullying him here. There is no need to get personal,
and frankly I'm disturbed by that a bit.

Jan, I really thought that only apps from shadow could prompt from a password.
It turns out that that's wrong and I would discourage from using 'read' in
startup scripts at all myself due to obvious security concerns.

Otherwise, show me the script that fails and perhaps run it with -x so we can
take a look at the code you're trying.

Auke