about the modular xorg

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sun Jan 28 20:50:43 CET 2007

Moritz Heiber wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:20:38 +0100
> Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>
>> in the modular xorg there are bugfix versions and they are
>> supposed to replace the release versions.
>
> Says who?

euh, I just merged 3 updates into xorg-7.1 the other day. So that argument is
indeed valid.

having the ability of merging partial fixes into xorg is a good thing. whether
we should is (1) up to the availability of testing resources and (2) whether
it's stable enough for everyone.

if Jan wants to test an update of the at driver against 7.1 components of xorg
(so not pre-7.2 components) then thats a good thing, even if we don't do
anything with it. Of course we should take care not to pull in components that
might affect 7.1, but the display drivers are a special thing and mostly consume
libraries and don't provide much API at all other than some hardware poking and
peeking.

 > Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
 >> its comparatively complicated (*to much work*) to copy them
 >> to zlocal, just to forget to rm them again on updates. :P

hardly:

# test_and_submit() { ( lvu edit $1 ; lvu cd $1 ; vi DETAILS ; lin $1 &&  lvu
submit $1 && lvu unedit $1 ; ) }
# test_and_submit xf86-video-ati

no need to even use an svn moonbase.

Cheers,