gcc-4.1.1

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat Jan 27 18:20:16 CET 2007

Jan Eidtmann wrote:
> On 27.01.07, Moritz Heiber wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:37:15 +0100
>> Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> which where compiled with gcc 3.4.6?
>>> when you say "the update" did that just involve the lin -w
>>> 4.1.1 gcc part, or anything else? :>
>> God cmak, I'm telling you right now: ITS SAFE, okay?
>>
>> Jesus!
>
> im not sure about that...why dont you just answer my
> question? i shouldnt have used the ":>" i guess. it looks
> like its saying "gotcha, and you know that". but what it
> really sais is "please help, please waste your time for me,
> please hmmkay, im clueless"

bottom line: when I switched to gcc-4.1.1 half a year ago or so, nothing broke
except a few packages would not compile. At no point whatsoever did anything
spontaneously *Stop Working*.

I'm not even sure about that 'binary abi incompatibility' that you are talking
about, I've never heard of it. gcc-4.x is just a radical redesign of some of the
internals of the compiler, but not the ABI

Auke