read bash?

Jan Eidtmann cmak at lunar-linux.org
Sun Feb 11 21:00:28 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 17:57:26 -0800
Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> Moritz Heiber wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:36:01 +0100
> > Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> i just want to make lunar better and all i get is your
> >> BS...of course ive heard what you say...but im not
> >> satisfied with that. i want this support.  you didnt say
> >> that you dont ever want to support such things.  all you
> >> said is i _could_ stop. but why? because you failed? you
> >> even tried to implement the same thing...  and failed, is
> >> that my fault?  no. is it bash's fault?  no.
> >
> > Man, you're really going for it now.
> >
> > I'm not going to get stuck in this. You aren't worth it.
> >
> > Good luck duplicating work that has been done already.
>
> this is completely irrelevant to Jan wanting to get something to work for
> himself. You're completely bullying him here. There is no need to get personal,
> and frankly I'm disturbed by that a bit.
>
> Jan, I really thought that only apps from shadow could prompt from a password.
> It turns out that that's wrong and I would discourage from using 'read' in
> startup scripts at all myself due to obvious security concerns.
>
> Otherwise, show me the script that fails and perhaps run it with -x so we can
> take a look at the code you're trying.

thx to wodkahexe it works now. adding <&1 after the command
let the command get the std input back, even in a while
read.

anyway, this is pretty simple, but its a start. i think its
bad because its not very generic. it works for the new
dm-crypt target only (no loopback). also encrypted root is
not supported.

on the other hand, its just a small change to our mount
script that doesnt get in your way but adds support for
state-of-the-art filesystem encryption. :)

what this patch does:

* unlock dm-crypt devices before we parse fstab. this way
one can use fstab for encrypted volumes. devices which are
to unlock at boottime are kept in the new /etc/crypttab:
    # device    mapping
    /dev/sda6   sda6-c

to mount the unlocked filesystem you add it to your fstab
as normal but with just a slightly different device path:
/dev/mapper/sda6-c  /root  xfs defaults 0 2

* if the user has a lvm package installed it scans discs
for volume groups and activates them

* close luks volumes and deactivate volume groups on
shutdown