[Lunar-commits] glibc, timezone-data: Resolve conflict between files installed.

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Tue Dec 11 01:45:58 CET 2007

Moritz Heiber wrote:
> Hey Chad, glad you're jumping in. I'm sorry I didn't bother to ask you
> until now .. but I think this is the cleaner approach. Also, are there
> so many changes around the world justifying a constant up-to-date
> timezone information (I'm clueless here .. enlighten me! :-)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Moritz
>
> PS: With the new glibc module we can actually follow glibc releases
> more frequently .. that means much more up-to-date timezone information
> either.

I'd vote for using timezone-data instead seeing how there have been
times when timezones change faster than we release glibc updates. Also,
I really dont understand why timezone info is bundled with glibc...when
the US Government changed daylight savings, my mind didn't think "Oh, I
better update glibc then!" Instead, I went looking for a timezone
module, which is obviously more intuitive ;)

Even if we can keep up with glibc updates now, that doesn't mean we
always will. That also doesn't guarantee new glibc releases will
coincide with updated timezone data -- do they even bump versions when
*only* the timezones change?

-Striker