lvu export/import

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Aug 2 22:45:31 CEST 2007

Samuel Verstraete wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying the lvu export/import stuff in lunar and i was thinking
> that it should be easy to expand this a bit so we have a really usefull
> tool.
> Not that it is not working now but it is not very idiot proof:
>
> 1. import does not check for the $MOONBASE directory in the
> $CONFIG_CACHE so that directory does not get made and moonbase is not
> installed in it lin will fail to find your modules

the idea of snapshot was to just get a portable list of packages and per-package
configuration for backup purposes (or even cloning) without adding too much
overhead.

Adding moonbase to this is silly: in case I want to add another server 1 year
later with the same packages, getting a one-year-old moonbase is not what I want...

> 2. export does not export your zlocal modules into the export archive

those should be lvu submitted anyway :)

OK, this might be something we can add to the snapshot (makes sense)

> 3. i would prefer to actually export the whole moonbase (with zlocal
> included) into the archive so you can also restore if you didn't update
> your moonbase, so we can also immediately move it to the $MOONBASE
> directory set in $CONFIG_CACHE
>
> 4. I wouldn't mind to have a copy of my /etc directory included in the
> archive... not that i would install it but it might be usefull for
> reference when you try to get your box up and running (this might be
> optional)

there are better tools for this. restoring stuff from /etc/ in luar is extremely
dangerous and guaranteed to muck up module upgrades. I would stay away from this
  if I could.

> 5. optionally we could just throw in all archives from /var/cache/lunar
> and/or /var/spool/lunar so we don't necessarily need to download all
> those archives again or compile them again...

if you like *BIG* snaphots... shrug. Try using a real backup program instead!

Auke