./configure --enable-gui=no / vim

Steven Michalske hardkrash at lunar-linux.org
Wed May 24 22:24:15 UTC 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 3:06 PM, Auke Kok wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:38:41 -0700, Steven Michalske
> <hardkrash at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>> Is that an optional_depends or a configuration option?
>>
>> This is a tough one as do you want a gui if you have X installed or
>> is it that you want a gui if you plan on using the gui.
>>
>> it might be better to look into it to see if you could build vim with
>> out X and gvim with X and install that way....
>
> he says optional_depends. that should work fine as he is supplying
> --disable-flags, and those are always honored (both by vim and lunar).
>
> having a separate gvim module creates conflicts: vim and gvim
> share /usr/share/vim/*, which would make messy updates and such.
>
> Auke

Actually I was suggesting something different.  build it twice once
with X, install it to gvim, then build it with out X and install that
executable to vim.

I wasn't saying that an optional depends isn't a proper solution, but
thinking of the few times that a linked library thats part of vim was
damaged and not having a vim that would run was quite annoying,  once
I had to boot in live cd fashion because I had no editor.....   I
guess I could have used sed, less and others.... but with out an
editor I couldn't edit a file I needed to to fix my broken install,
this was a perl issue if I remember.

i guess what would be good here would be to have more so a static and
minimal vim installed,  I'll look into a way to make it part of the
standard vim module so that it isn't a new module that conflicts, but
vims or vimr or lvim.

I guess i could install e3 or the like, but I love vim :-P

hardkrash